Current:Home > StocksJudge sets $10 million bond for Venezuelan man accused of killing a 12-year-old Houston girl -Ascend Wealth Education
Judge sets $10 million bond for Venezuelan man accused of killing a 12-year-old Houston girl
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 03:57:43
HOUSTON (AP) — A judge in Texas set bond of $10 million Monday for an undocumented Venezuelan man accused of killing a 12-year-old Houston girl whose body was found in a creek after she disappeared during a walk to a convenience store.
Franklin Jose Peña Ramos, 26, is one of two men charged with capital murder in the girl’s death. The other is Johan Jose Martinez-Rangel, 22.
Peña’s bond was set during a court hearing in which prosecutors told state District Judge Josh Hill that he and Martinez-Rangel tried to flee the Houston area after the killing.
The two men are Venezuelan nationals who entered the United States illegally in March, according to a statement Friday from the U.S. Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE. U.S. Border Patrol near El Paso, Texas, arrested Martinez-Rangel on March 14 and Peña on March 28. Both were released with orders to appear in court at a later date.
Immigration is a top concern for voters, with many saying President Joe Biden hasn’t been doing enough to secure the country’s borders. Earlier this month, Biden unveiled plans to enact immediate significant restrictions on migrants seeking asylum at the U.S.-Mexico border.
Both Peña and Martinez-Rangel are now under immigration holds by federal authorities, meaning they would remain in custody even if they could post bond. Martinez-Rangel is set to appear in court to review his bond status on Tuesday.
The body of the girl they are accused of killing was found June 17 in a shallow creek after police said she sneaked out of her nearby home the night before. She was strangled to death, according to the medical examiner.
The suspects allegedly lured the girl under a bridge and remained with her there for more than two hours, according to court documents.
Prosecutors allege the men took off her pants, tied her up and killed her before throwing her body in the bayou. It doesn’t appear that the two men knew the 12-year-old, said Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg.
“Make no mistake, this is a horrific crime,” Ogg said during a news conference following Peña’s court hearing.
Lisa Andrews, a court-appointed attorney for Peña, did not immediately reply to a call and email seeking comment.
The victim’s mother remembered her daughter on Monday as someone who was quirky and “definitely made people laugh.”
“I’m always going to remember those memories because she had such a bright future ahead of her and I knew she was going to go very far,” she said. “These monsters took that opportunity from her, from her family.”
Police arrested Martinez-Rangel and Peña, who investigators said were roommates, on Thursday. Authorities said surveillance video showed two men approaching the girl before walking to a Houston convenience store with her. The three then walked together to a bridge, where the girl was killed, police said. The Associated Press is withholding the victim’s name because it does not name possible victims of sexual assault.
The girl’s grandfather said Monday that his granddaughter’s death could have been prevented if the country’s immigration system had been “redone.”
“I don’t believe that everyone who crosses the border is bad. But within them, there are some who are,” he said. “Why not take some more time and investigate these people who come here?”
Ogg said the capital murder charges Peña and Martinez-Rangel face are not death penalty eligible. But if additional DNA testing or other evidence shows the victim was sexually assaulted or kidnapped, the death penalty would be possible, she said.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (1821)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- New York City flooding allows sea lion to briefly escape Central Park Zoo pool
- What Top 25 upsets are coming this weekend? Bold predictions for Week 5 in college football
- Hasan Minhaj and the limits of representation
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Actor Michael Gambon, who played Harry Potter's Dumbledore, dies at 82
- Transgender minors in Nebraska, their families and doctors brace for a new law limiting treatment
- What Top 25 upsets are coming this weekend? Bold predictions for Week 5 in college football
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Judge ending conservatorship between ex-NFL player Michael Oher and couple who inspired The Blind Side
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Republican presidential candidates use TikTok and Taylor Swift to compete for young voters
- Rocker bassinets potentially deadly for babies, safety regulator warns
- A Bernalillo County corrections officer is accused of bringing drugs into the jail
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Supreme Court to consider Texas and Florida laws regulating social media platforms
- Judges maintain bans on gender-affirming care for youth in Tennessee and Kentucky
- Rocker bassinets potentially deadly for babies, safety regulator warns
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
New York man who served 18 years for murder acquitted at 2nd trial
Which jobs lose pay in a government shutdown? What to know about military, national parks, TSA, more
Looming shutdown rattles families who rely on Head Start program for disadvantaged children
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
NBA suspends free agent guard Josh Primo for conduct detrimental to the league
Fourth soldier from Bahrain dies of wounds after Yemen’s Houthi rebels attack troops on Saudi border
Tennessee woman accused in shooting tells deputies that she thought salesman was a hit man